Home Churches Industry Schools Places Transport

Rainford History Home Page

 

Welcome to Rainford

Situated midway between St. Helens and Ormskirk, Rainford was originally an Urban District in the County of Lancashire, but now forms part of the Metropolitan Borough of St. Helens. Its main access routes are via the A570 Rainford by-pass, the B5205 and B5203.           

 Rainford from the air 

It is a semi-rural residential district of some 5,877 acres and is the northern most point in the borough of St. Helens.  A slight ridge runs across the district rising to 300 feet above sea level near Crank - a bare exposed spot. The main village is found below this ridge fringed on its western edge by the Rainford Brook.

Pasture Lane, c. 1907.  with Rainford  Brook running alongside. 

The geological formations consist mainly of coal measures, but from Rainford village westward there is a wide belt of Triassic sandstones. Varying thicknesses of boulder clay cover the basic rocks; to the north, east and west there are extensive areas of moss lands which are raised to produce a gentle undulating landscape. 

With a population of about 12,000 the village provides a much needed green belt area between the industry of St. Helens and the new towns of Kirkby and Skelmersdale.

 

Rainford's Name

The leading authority on place names, Professor E. Ekwall, states that the first element of Rainford is an Old English personal name: Regna, a short form of names such as Regengar, Regnheah and Regnhere. Thus: Regna's ford.  It must be noted that it is not mentioned by name in the Domesday Survey and no record of its existence has been found before 1189.

 

Entry into Rainford Village -

Taking a northerly route along the A570 and leaving it before reaching the B5203,  the first lane upon entry is known as Pasture Lane, (as pictured above). This continues into Church Road and then Ormskirk Road before leaving the village to rejoin the A570 to continue further north. 

Being a main route through the village it has many adjoining lanes and roads, some leading into housing estates whilst others lead to the more outlying areas such as Bushey Lane, Rainford Junction and the surrounding areas of  Crawford, Crank, Kings Moss,  Mossborough and Bickerstaffe.

A JOURNEY THROUGH THE VILLAGE,  circa 1907 - 1935
1.  Church Road. 2. The junction with Rookery Lane.
3. Continuation of Church Road. 4. Thickwood Moss Lane on the right
5. Continuing along Church Road. 6. Houses known as Derby Terrace
7. Church Road and All Saints Church 8. Ormskirk Road
9. Continuing Ormskirk Road. 10. A little further along
11. Passing over Randle Brook. 12.Leading towards Bickerstaffe
13. Hydes Brow and the road to Crawford 14. Higher Lane. 
This website has been created for the enjoyment of those wishing to know more about the history of Rainford. 

To continue further, return to the top of the page and choose the navigation buttons along the top to enter each area.

Copyright Rainford History.

Back to top