Rainford Primitive Methodist Chapel 

Before 1883 the Primitive Methodists of Rainford had no place in which  to worship except two small cottages situated at the opposite ends of the village, one known as Rookery and the other as Rainford  Junction. One of the cottages was reputed to have been loaned to them by the Rainford Coal Company.  

Two societies had formed, consisting mainly of working men and their wives, but each working long and hard  with the same will and determination to find better accommodation of their own.  

On Good Friday 1883 the two societies amalgamated when the Memorial Stone of the New Primitve Methodist Church was laid by Mr. Richard Pennington, jun,  of Muncaster Hall, on land in Ormskirk Road that had been secured from the Earl of Derby by the Rev. Mr. Wilshaw for a nominal annual ground rent. Mr. Pennington gave a donation of 50 towards the cost of the building.

The weather for the occasion was very favourable and many people, including some from St.Helens and other surrounding districts, came along to join in the celebrations. These were concluded by a meeting being held in the Congregational School which had been loaned for the occasion. 

After the Memorial Stone had been laid, the builder, another Mr. Pennington of Rainford, worked very quickly and soon the Chapel was completed.  At a cost of 330, and the capacity to seat 200 worshipers, the opening services took place on Sunday, 15th July, 1883, with sermons by the Rev. E.A.Davies of Stalybridge, and the Rev. T. Atkinson, Rainford Congregational Church. The following Sunday, sermons were preached by the Rev. J. Sadler, of Blackburn and Mr. J. Hewitt of St.Helens.

 

FLOWERS FOR CHRISTMAS  2005

Back