Old Village Stocks

 

THE VILLAGE STOCKS

The old village stocks for the punishment of felons have stood on the corner of Mossborough Road and Church Road for centuries. The two stone pillars were all that remained after they fell into disuse but in recent times they have been restored (though not in a working order, unfortunately).

Early in 1815 they were subjected to an act of vandalism and the Town Vestry Meeting held in February

Ordered a reward of 20 to any person informing of the person or persons who pulled the stocks down, to be paid upon conviction.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 Back