The Churchyard

Section 1. the oldest area. 

Early documents prove that throughout the years the churchyard has been extended at various times. The earliest one being the Sentence of Consecration of additional chapel yard in 1829, followed in 1861  by the Sentence of Consecration of additional church yard. 

In this area of the churchyard, now referred to as Section 1,  stood the old chapel which was demolished in 1880. In 1911, it was necessary to use the site of the old chapel to accommodate more graves and by 1914 when this area was almost full it became apparent further land would soon be needed. Interments still continue in this section but only in existing family graves.  

Section 2. opened 1916 

This area of land lying on the south side of the new church was conveyed in 1914 and consecrated in 1915 for the use of an additional church yard. Divided by a path in the centre, the area lying to the west was used first with graves mainly dating from 1916 until 1946. To the east of the path, the graves date from 1946 until 1961. 

Now known as Section 2, interments still continue in existing family graves.

Section 3.   opened 1961
Still on the south side of the church, this land adjoining Section 2 was consecrated in 1961 and is known as Section 3.  In 1932, Revd. A. E. Bass, Vicar of Rainford, purchased land from the Earl of Derby which was to provide sufficient burial plots for many years to come. The first half which is known as section 3 is now almost full,  and the remainder is being prepared for use in the near future.
The Garden of Remembrance

 Section 2   

 

The Book of Remembrance   

 

  Section 3

The first Garden of Remembrance was opened in 1969 and the names of those whose cremated remains are interred there can be found in this book which is housed in an oak cabinet inside church. This garden can be found along the south side of the church in section 2.

A donation in memory of Mr. Leslie Alcock in 1993,  allowed a new Garden of Remembrance to be prepared along the outer edges of section 3.

 

All Monumental Inscriptions are recorded - copies can be seen at the church. Volumes 1, 2 and 3 can also be found at  St.Helens Local History Library and the Lancashire Record Office at Preston.

 

Back